RE: [External] : menu-item uses no dot period before item-property-list

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : menu-item uses no dot period before item-property-list in examples
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 00:52:29 +0000

> > Have read about
>
>  (menu-item item-name real-binding . item-property-list)
>
> but when things actually get implemented there exist no dot period
> before 'item-property-list'.
>
>  (define-key global-map
>    [menu-bar mcp-topm daphne-subm entry-sweep]
>      '(menu-item "Entry Sweep" gilgamesh-entry-sweep
>         :help "Entry Sweep"))

Yes, there is.  And you've been told before
that (a . (b c)) is the same as (a b c).

For simplicity, Lisp _printing_ removes the
dot and parens: . (...).  This is standard
Lisp syntax convenience: we write (a b c)
instead of (a . (b . (c . nil))).  That's
all there is to it.

And you've asked this before, and you've
been pointed to the Elisp doc, which
explains all of this in detail, even with
diagrams and examples.

Please, Ask Emacs.  Many people, over many
years, have gone to the trouble of writing
good, clear help and doc.

And you can find the same thing outside of
Emacs, in any number of Lisp introductions.

Help yourself.