RE: [External] : menu-item uses no dot period before item-property-list

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : menu-item uses no dot period before item-property-list in examples
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 15:10:45 +0000

> > > Have read about
> > > (menu-item item-name real-binding . item-property-list)
> > > but when things actually get implemented there exist no dot period
> > > before 'item-property-list'.
> > >
> > > (define-key global-map
> > > [menu-bar mcp-topm daphne-subm entry-sweep]
> > > '(menu-item "Entry Sweep" gilgamesh-entry-sweep
> > > :help "Entry Sweep"))
> >
> > Yes, there is. And you've been told before
> > that (a . (b c)) is the same as (a b c).
> >
> > For simplicity, Lisp printing removes the
> > dot and parens: . (...). This is standard
> > Lisp syntax convenience: we write (a b c)
> > instead of (a . (b . (c . nil))). That's
> > all there is to it.
>
> So why bother users in the manual why that is never actually used.
> (menu-item item-name real-binding item-property-list)

I hope you meant this, which is not the same thing:

(menu-item item-name real-binding
 . item-property-list)

item-property-list is not an _element_ of the
overall list.  It's "spliced" into that list,
as its _tail_.

What "bother" are you referring to?
item-property-list is a list.  That's all.

Lisp users like/need? to understand dotted
list notation, and its abbreviated read and
print notation, i.e., the fact that

(a b c) = (a . (b . (c . nil)))

If you intend to use Elisp, then you should
intend to read about and understand its read
and print syntax.  And if you use Elisp to
create menus then you should intend to read
and understand a syntax description such as

(menu-item item-name real-binding
 . item-property-list)

> > And you've asked this before, and you've
> > been pointed to the Elisp doc, which
> > explains all of this in detail, even with
> > diagrams and examples.
> >
> > Please, Ask Emacs. Many people, over many
> > years, have gone to the trouble of writing
> > good, clear help and doc.
>
> That's your assertion.  Bothering us with jargon that never gets used is
> just being silly to those who do not have time for nonsense intended only
> for general language interest rather than practicality.

What "jargon that never gets used" are you referring to?

Apparently what you call "bother" is what Emacs
offers as doc to try to _help_ its users.

Who is bothering whom, with your "Help Me!!!??
I'm drowning!!!?!!" pleas for help?  Do you ever
wonder why people - even very patient people -
give up on you after a while for not trying to
_help yourself_ a bit?

> The dot should be removed from the documentation
> and have

What dot, where?  And have what?  Is it possible
for you to see that you just toss half-articulated
demands and pleas over the wall and then expect
help and mind-reading?

Maybe try ChatGPT instead?