[Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB -- an analogy

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB -- an analogy ...
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 01:59:23 -0500

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 01:08 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Sigh, I honestly give up with you.  You are taking my words and putting
> them in the context you want.  Listen to my _original_ context!
> I _explicitly_ asked what the current status of development of mkisofs
> with regards to the mkisofs _included_ in _any_ of the following:
> - cdrecord (aka cdrtools)
> - cdrecord-ProDVD
> - dvdrecord
> - cdrecord+DVDpatch (aka cdrtools+DVDpatch)

Here's an analogy.

We could be talking about software development and compilers.  But
compilers also require linkers to get anything done.  Although you can
mix'n match compilers and linkers, they are typically designed to be
compatible with each other, and part of the same project.

If someone forks off a compiler, they may or may not fork off the
linker, depending on changes.  That forked compiler may or may not need
a new linker, it might be able to use the original project's.  But if it
does need linker changes, then the linker is also modified, and now part
of that forked project.

So what I was asking about is what is currently the "best" mkisofs from
"what" cdrecord project/fork/release for doing UDF.  That's all.
Because mkisofs is developed right alongside cdrecord/cdrecord-ProDVD by
Jorg, and may or may not have a forked version with modifications for
the dvdrecord or cdrecord+DVDpatch forks.

That's all dude!  ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith                                     address@hidden
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you