Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB -- cdreco

From: Volker Kuhlmann
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB -- cdrecord = { cdrecord, mkisofs, etc... }
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 17:12:38 +1200

> > Why (how) does the burn program need to be concerned with the filesystem
> > which might be on the data stream it's burning? If this is for mounting
> > optical media read/write, how are these programs involved??

> Source RPM: cdrtools-2.01.1-5.src.rpm
>
> mkisofs comes from Jorg's cdrecord.

No, mkisofs does not "come from cdrecord", it is shipped packaged up
with Jörg's cdrecord in the cdrtools package, as you show above. They're
independent programs.

> Therefore, anything based on cdrecord, like the official cdrecord-
> ProDVD, dvdrecord (this project) or cdrecord+DVDpatch uses it as well.

????? Excuse me, but that's nonsense. Cdrecord (and related) don't "use"
mkisofs (you could argue this about growisofs, but you were specifically
talking about cdrecord). You're free to use any burning (cdrecord,
growisofs, kernel patches, ...) and mastering programs (mkisofs, mke2fs,
...) in any combination, there's no interdependency.

Volker

[1] Except, as already noted, for growisofs unless using -Zdevice=file.

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.