Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB -- cdreco

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB -- cdrecord = { cdrecord, mkisofs, etc... }
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 01:08:47 -0500

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 17:12 +1200, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> No, mkisofs does not "come from cdrecord", it is shipped packaged up
> with Jörg's cdrecord in the cdrtools package, as you show above. They're
> independent programs.

Jorg is the current maintainer, has been since 1999.
Yes, he was the developer/maintainer of cdrecord before that.
And Yggdrasil was the original developer since 1993.

The guys behind this project can probably confirm or deny it better than I.
Is dvdrecord's mkisofs a fork before Jorg became maintainer?
Or is dvdrecord's mkisofs a fork after Jorg became maintainer (but still 1.x)?
Or is dvdrecord merely and still relying on Jorg's (the _official_
maintainer's) version,
including even 2.x?

> ????? Excuse me, but that's nonsense. Cdrecord (and related) don't "use"
> mkisofs (you could argue this about growisofs, but you were specifically
> talking about cdrecord).

Sigh, I honestly give up with you.  You are taking my words and putting
them in the context you want.  Listen to my _original_ context!

I _explicitly_ asked what the current status of development of mkisofs
with regards to the mkisofs _included_ in _any_ of the following:

- cdrecord (aka cdrtools)
- cdrecord-ProDVD
- dvdrecord
- cdrecord+DVDpatch (aka cdrtools+DVDpatch)

Jorg is _the_ maintainer of at least cdrecord (aka cdrtools) and
cdrecord-ProDVD's mkisofs.  The _source_ RPM by Red Hat, the _source_
Deb by Debian and countless other distros -- even Gentoo's Makefile --
is based on Jorg's .tar.gz with _both_!

Now Red Hat _does_ break out the _binary_ RPM into mkisofs, cdrecord,
etc..., but they are _all_ built from the _same_ source release!

Whether or not dvdrecord has forked a previous version of Jorg or
Yggdrasil's, or they still rely on Jorg's updates to at least cdrecord
(because they are GPL), still means it is included in _that_ package.
And I don't know a distro right now that isn't shipping at least Jorg's
mkisofs which _is_ part of his cdrecord, unless they are shipping a fork
included with another.

Yes, cdrecord _can_ use other files mastered by other systems.
Yes, the mastering and recording are separate.

But I was saying _which_project_ that _may_ be possibly maintaining
mkisofs other than Jorg -- if at all -- has the best UDF implementation
right now.  Stop assuming the context I am using!  That is your
downfall!

> You're free to use any burning (cdrecord,
> growisofs, kernel patches, ...) and mastering programs (mkisofs, mke2fs,
> ...) in any combination, there's no interdependency.

Yes, you are free to do so.

But I was talking in the context of mastering with mkisofs and recording
with cdrecord or some fork.  They are inter-related in development,
because they are either maintained by Jorg, or one or both are prior
forks.

Damn you don't quit.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                     address@hidden
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you