[Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB -- cdrecord =

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB -- cdrecord = { cdrecord, mkisofs, etc... }
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 22:54:27 -0500

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 09:54 +1200, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> Why (how) does the burn program need to be concerned with the filesystem
> which might be on the data stream it's burning? If this is for mounting
> optical media read/write, how are these programs involved??

[ Fedora Core 3 system ]

$ rpm -qi mkisofs
Source RPM: cdrtools-2.01.1-5.src.rpm

mkisofs comes from Jorg's cdrecord.
It is the mastering program complement to the burning program.

Therefore, anything based on cdrecord, like the official cdrecord-
ProDVD, dvdrecord (this project) or cdrecord+DVDpatch uses it as well.
I didn't know if any of the variants or if Jorg's GPL cdrecord UDF
mastering capability has gotten any better since I tried it last.

UDF in "mastery" mode is different than "pre-allocated" mode.

In "mastery" mode, it's like ISO9660, designed as a one-shot, one-size,
fixed deal, that way, it only takes up the space actually required
(just like any "archive" format either).

In "pre-allocated" mode, it is like a traditional filesystem -- be it on
a real device (e.g, DVD-RAM), or a virtual image (possibly mounted on
loopback) with empty blocks, taking up space.

I don't know if those are the technical terms, but all I know is that
UDF can be either.  ISO9660 is only the former.  Most traditional
filesystems are only the latter.

mkisofs -udf is going to make the former, obviously.  The kernel with
UDF support should be able to make the latter, like any kernel
filesystem.  If the kernel can dynamically allocate blocks in a virtual
UDF filesystem, then that would be great.  But I don't think a loopback
can work that way.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                     address@hidden
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you