[Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB -- cdrecord =

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB -- cdrecord = { cdrecord, mkisofs, etc... }
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 22:56:54 -0500

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 22:54 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> In "mastery" mode, it's like ISO9660, designed as a one-shot, one-size,
> fixed deal, that way, it only takes up the space actually required
> (just like any "archive" format either).
> In "pre-allocated" mode, it is like a traditional filesystem -- be it on
> a real device (e.g, DVD-RAM), or a virtual image (possibly mounted on
> loopback) with empty blocks, taking up space.
> I don't know if those are the technical terms, but all I know is that
> UDF can be either.  ISO9660 is only the former.  Most traditional
> filesystems are only the latter.

Before you correct me, please understand that you must use something
like growisofs to dynamically grow ISO9660 filesystems.  It's not
straight-forward and direct to do, as anyone who has run mkisofs knows,
it basically creates the table-of-contents first, then masters files
after it.  So if you add more, you either have to have another session,
or you block copy/move a lot of pre-mastered file so it can be "grown."

UDF just offers the other mode too, like Ext2, FAT, etc...

--
Bryan J. Smith                                     address@hidden
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you