Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Cannot write CD's >= 100 minutes. GRRRR!

From: Ted Huntington
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Cannot write CD's >= 100 minutes. GRRRR!
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 09:02:28 -0700

I have the DRX500UL and find your comments helpful.  I cannot get packet
writing going on this drive and neither dvdrecord or cdrecord -ProDVD
(although I am not sure if I tried for DVD-R) worked.  Growisofs does work
(for both +- media), but I would really like to get udf going for DVD+R,
because udf is easier to work with.  Have any of you heard if udf for
DVD+R is going to happen for Linux?

Ted

Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> >   I can find *tons* of people having this same problem but
> >   nobody has an answer posted. Hopefully somebody has
> >   found a solution since the historic posts I came across...
> >
> >   Sony dual-format DRU500A (OEM burner)
> >   I'm trying to burn to brand new DVD+RW media.
> >
> >   . . .
>
> dvdrecord doesn't work with DVD+RW (or +R) media and doesn't work with
> the Sony DRU500A drive.  However, dvd+rw-tools, in spite of its name,
> works well on the Sony with all four types of supported media.  It's
> the only DVD burning software you need for this drive.  You can find
> more information at this link:
>
> http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
>
> Some versions of cdrecord-ProDVD work with the Sony drive, but it is
> non-free and only supports DVD-R/-RW media, not +R/+RW.  As far as I
> know, dvd+rw-tools is Linux-only and cdrecord-ProDVD is multiplatform,
> but if you are using Linux, there's no real reason to even look at
> cdrecord-ProDVD for the Sony drive.
>
> --
> Jay Berkenbilt <address@hidden>
> http://www.ql.org/q/

Ted Huntington
Programmer Analyst I
Main Library
University of California, Irvine
PO Box 19557
Irvine, CA 92623-9557
emesgs:  address@hidden
web page:  http://business.lib.uci.edu/webpages/ted.htm
8:00a-12:00p Business Office (949) 824-8926
1:00p-5:00p  Multimedia Resource Center (949) 824-1674
"Stop violence, teach science."