Re: FW: [DotGNU]The Mingw32 ilrun seems to run

From: Adam Treat
Subject: Re: FW: [DotGNU]The Mingw32 ilrun seems to run
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:55:29 -0500

On Monday 02 December 2002 03:56 pm, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> Simon Guindon wrote:
> I was suggesting a quick and dirty hack that will work only if the
> user sets up their PATH correctly and does not use any MS application
> that may depend upon their CLR.  Providing the user a transparent
> way to flip engines is not possible with this mechanism.
>
> Yhe Windows desire to "just click on it" is nonsense anyway.  Users
> don't click on .exe files.  They click on icons or menu options.
> It is pretty easy to associate an icon with "clrwrap blah.exe" and
> make it so transparent that the user is none the wiser.  It's only
> a problem for people who run Windows apps from the command-line,
> which is mercifully a very small set.

Ok, so it will not be easy.  I don't think overriding MS's CLR at all times is
important, but overriding the CLR with pnet at specific times is important.
IMHO, Portable.NET would do well to provide Windows developers with an easy
and convenient (see: how they normally develop .NET apps) method of
developing Portable.NET apps.  This would entail the ability to launch PNet
and or cscc when developing in Visual Studio.NET.  I don't own this, so it's
not very important to me specifically, but it would be a nice goal if PNet is
looking to convert some windows developers.  A good goal, IMHO ;)

Cheers,
Adam