Re: FW: [DotGNU]The Mingw32 ilrun seems to run

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: FW: [DotGNU]The Mingw32 ilrun seems to run
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 21:43:55 +1000

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> Simon and I had a long discussion about how to associate the IL exe to
> the pnet runtime. I was thinking about a exe stub that chooses the
> runtime from the registry, what do you think?

The ECMA spec says that IL exe's make a call to "_CorExeMain" in
"mscoree.dll" to auto-launch the CLR.  That's how the MS CLR
is launched.

It would theoretically be possible to provide a dummy dll with
the same name that immediately does the Windows equivalent of
"exec" to launch "ilrun".  But you'd have to be careful about
conflicts with an existing MS CLR installation on the system.