debian-sf-users

Re: [Debian-sf-users] Newbie to Debian and SourceForge

From: Tim Uckun
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-users] Newbie to Debian and SourceForge
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:08:15 -0700

The other alternative for me would be to try
debian-sf. However i have not used debian-linux

Debian is much cooler IMHO but everybody has their opinions I guess.

before. How should i proceed? Should I download the
ISO for DEbian 2.2r4, and after installation, install
sourceforge by 'apt-get install sourceforge'? Thanks
in advance.

Not that simple but here is the route you need to take.
1) Install potato (or woody if you got the ISO). Install just the minimum things you need No extra apps or X. 2) Edit /etc/apt/sources.list Comment out the CDROM lines and add the lines for unstable (there are examples in the debian web site for testing just change the word testing to unstable.
3) Add lines for chirtians web site to /etc/apt/sources.list
 In the end your sources.list should look like this.
# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

# For security

deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

#For stable
#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

# for woody
#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
#deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

# for Unstable
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

#for Sourceforge
deb http://christian.bayle.free.fr/debian binary-i386/
deb-src http://christian.bayle.free.fr/debian source/

# Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to work
#deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US

4) apt-get update
5) apt-get dist-upgrade
6) apt-get upgrade DO this to see if any packages are being held back (should not be). If there are apt-get install them individually. they will let you know about the dependencies and why they are being held back. 7) Once you get everything upgraded this might be a good time for a full backup. 8) Now you need to get ldap working. so "apt-get install ldap". Right now the ldap packagage is broken and it will not create a database. Read the bug report on debian.org and do the workaround posted there. 9) apt-get install apache and apt-get install libapache-mod-ssl (these are fixed now!!! yea).
10) Make sure you can connect to your box via SSL.
11) a good time for a backup!.
12) apt-get install libnss-ldap follow the instructions to make sure you have the /etc/nsswitch.conf configured right.
13) apt-get install sourceforge.

Theoretically that should do the trick. Make sure you answer all LDAP related questions in the same manner (same root dn etc). Me I am still struggling with it. Sourceforge has so many dependencies it's not even funny. For me I am having a hell of a time setting up and starting slapd. Maybe it's broken but I have no experience with ldap so I am sure that aggravates things too.

If all else fails (and it might) I would look at TUTOS which is much simpler to set up.

I hope this is some use to you. If you are successfull please let me know what you did. If I get mine working before then I'll let you know.

:wq
Tim Uckun
US Investigations Services/Due Diligence
 http://www.diligence.com/