debian-sf-users

Re: [Debian-sf-users] Debian-SF file release

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-users] Debian-SF file release
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 11:00:40 +0100

Hello,

Anders Magnusson (2001-12-03 10:15:55 +0100) :

> A co-worker and I managed to install Debian-SF just before the
> weekend.  I've been playing around with it for a while now, and most
> of the things seems to work. I can create users and projects
> etc. But when I try to release a file I get the following error on
> step 2 on the editreleases.php page:
>
> Warning: stat failed for
> /var/lib/sourceforge/chroot/home/users/anders/incoming (errno=2 - No
> such file or directory) in
> /usr/lib/sourceforge/www/project/admin/editreleases.php on line 263
>
> The /var/lib/sourceforge/chroot/home/users dir is completley empty.
>
> Does anyone have a clue about what is wrong here? I guess that the user
> directories is supposed to be created at the same time as the user is...

Mmm, not quite.  What actually happens is this:

1. the SF account is created, which means an entry is added in the
   database;
2. the user is added to a project (or creates his own), which triggers
   the creation of the entry in the LDAP directory; that means the
   Unix account now exists;
3. then some cron job happens, which creates the home directories for
   the users and groups.

  The user cannot upload files (or publish them) before 3 has
happened.  Fortunately, the interface doesn't allow him to do so
before 2 has happened, but that still leaves the time between 2 and
3.

  The default configuration lists this task #3 as the following line
in /etc/cron.d/sourceforge:

,----
| # CVS/user/group update
| 0 * * * * root [ -x /usr/lib/sourceforge/bin/update-user-group-cvs.sh ] &&
/usr/lib/sourceforge/bin/update-user-group-cvs.sh &> /dev/null
`----

  So basically, you need to wait until the next hour for the uploads
and file releases to become effective.  You might want to speed it up
by tweaking the crontab (or running the job by hand), but it might
overload your box if you do it too often and you have too many users.

  Now this might not be the real explanation for your problem, but
it's the first one I can think about.  If it's not the correct one,
please tell us, so that we can investigate further.  Don't forget to
mention the version of the package you are using.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

'ALL your base? No!! One tiny base continue bravely to resist.'
  -- <wiggy> in #debian-devel