wxruby-dev

Re: [Wxruby-dev] my wxruby starting version

From: Gour
Subject: Re: [Wxruby-dev] my wxruby starting version
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:09:57 +0200

Park Heesob (address@hidden) wrote:

> Hi, wxRuby developers?
>
> Recently I started working on wxRuby again.

Hey, it's great news!

Yesterday I contacted Robert Roebling, author of wxDesigner, asking him
whether we can expect Ruby support if we get wxRuby.

Hos reply was: "Yes!".

> I didn't use SWIG or Cable, just handmade.
>
> I think it  is not difficult to add class or method, but it need more time
> to make it complete.

I playe a little bit with Swig, so I'm interested whether it would be
easy to go with Swig, since Cable doesn't have Ruby support?

> I uploaded my current version for Windows environment.
>
> Download, make a folder, unzip there, and test!
>
> http://www.sm-c.net/wxruby/wxruby.zip
>
> sample code : test.rb , minimal.rb

I am rushing to download & test your version.

OT: Since I am "weighting" between GTK & wxWindows, I'd like to ask a
question: GTK-Ruby performance is hardly usable - gtk-demo is VERY slow
on my machine (Celeron 566 with 256MB).

However, yesterday I downloaded and tried wxPython and it works
smoothly.

Is it the problem with the speed of Ruby vs. Python or in the bindings?

Since wxWindows is a layer on top of native widgets, I'm wondering what
kind of performance one can expect from wxRuby binding?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour