tlf-devel

Re: A unified color scheme?

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: A unified color scheme?
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 08:41:04 -0500

Well, some progress has been made and my understanding has been further
clarified.  The behavior of A_STANDOUT and A_BOLD on the console versus
a GUI terminal mostly follow the following behavior:

On the console and in GUI terminals A_STANDOUT:
  * transposes the foreground and background colors.

On the console ORing A_BOLD with A_STANDOUT:
  * applies the "bright" colors (8-15) to the foreground only

On a GUI terminal ORing A_BOLD with A_STANDOUT:
  * applies the "bright" colors to the background only
  * increases the weight of the foreground character
  * does NOT apply the "bright" colors to the foreground character

On the console use of the "bright" text colors can only be obtained
through the A_BOLD attribute, otherwise only the basic eight colors are
available for foreground and background.

On a GUI terminal where the TERM value is set to some variant of
*-256color "bright" colors can be applied directly as well as many more,
but we'll stick with 16 internally to Tlf to keep it simple.  At some
point I think it will be possible to specify combinations of the 256
color palette in logcfg.dat for complete customization.

At the moment the colors are rather garish as I am simply going through
the source files and conditioning the use of A_STANDOUT only when not in
a GUI terminal (at this time it checks the TERM environment variable for
"rxvt" and "xterm" strings).  I'm only partway through so the code
patching isn't complete,  The current progress can be viewd at:

https://github.com/N0NB/tlf/commits/color_schemes

I've attached a screen shot of Tlf running in URxvt,  Depending on what
is done at the moment, the header line color scheme is transposed or
"normal".

73, Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB