tlf-devel

Re: A unified color scheme?

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: A unified color scheme?
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 07:38:35 -0500

* On 2020 24 May 02:46 -0500, Thomas Beierlein wrote:

> it is as soon as TLF does not know the TERM setting. Atm it recognizes
> 'xterm', 'xterm-256color' and 'rxvt' (with 'rxvct-unicode' added in
> next days). All other settings will respect TLFCOLORS.

I'd like to think we could maintain the current palette with those TERM
types but also respect TLFCOLORSn.

> As handling of STANDOUT, BOLD and other attributes are inconsistent
> between the emulators I could check I fear that we will not be able to
> reach that goal.

At the risk of being critical, as I see it, the real culprit is the
general use of STANDOUT for many screen elements.  Yet, I do see its
value and why Rein originally chose to go this route.  At that time the
default VGA console screen was often not as bright as the GUI screen
owing to each being different hardware, as I understand it, and
especially with portable operations outdoors the use of STANDOUT gave
text that was readable under such conditions.  The Linux console appears
to be unique in its ability to display bright text on a bright
background.  This has carried forward now where the framebuffer is used
for the console.

The problem is that the GUI terminals lack this ability with STANDOUT.
I'm not sure if the reason is a technical limitation of X or a design
decision.  Regardless, these are the things to consider.  One thing that
might get close to unity is not using STANDOUT but BOLD on a normal
background on GUI terminals.

> Just my 2 cents.

Valued, as always.

73, Nate