tlf-devel

Re: A unified color scheme?

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: A unified color scheme?
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 20:52:00 -0500

Hi Matthew and Jim.  Thanks for sharing your screenshots and thoughts!

Are either of you customizing the colors through the respective terminal
settings (Konsole)/Xresources (Rxvt) or through LOGCFG.DAT?

I don't want to break existing setups if at all possible.  Tom made
mention that TLFCOLORn only works if the TERM variable is not set, or is
it only if it is "linux"?  As I see it, the user should be able to set
TLFCOLORn regardless of the setting of TERM.  The manual page is rather
light on details for this setting.  At the least I should probably
document the default colors available from ncurses.

One of my thoughts was to encourage users, especially newcomers to
Xterm/Rxvt, to start from the common VGA palette so a reasonable color
scheme is the starting point.  Still the ability for advanced users to
customize the scheme must be preserved.

Ideally, it would be possible for the user to manage all the color
scheme through Tlf regardless of the setting of TERM or the terminal
color palette.  It remains to be seen if this ideal can be reached.

Thanks for the food for thought.

73, Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB