tlf-devel

Re: A unified color scheme?

From: Thomas Beierlein
Subject: Re: A unified color scheme?
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 09:45:31 +0200

Hi to all of you,

Am Sat, 23 May 2020 20:52:00 -0500
schrieb Nate Bargmann <address@hidden>:

> Hi Matthew and Jim.  Thanks for sharing your screenshots and thoughts!
>
> Are either of you customizing the colors through the respective
> terminal settings (Konsole)/Xresources (Rxvt) or through LOGCFG.DAT?
>
> I don't want to break existing setups if at all possible.  Tom made
> mention that TLFCOLORn only works if the TERM variable is not set, or
> is it only if it is "linux"?

it is as soon as TLF does not know the TERM setting. Atm it recognizes
'xterm', 'xterm-256color' and 'rxvt' (with 'rxvct-unicode' added in
next days). All other settings will respect TLFCOLORS.

> As I see it, the user should be able to
> set TLFCOLORn regardless of the setting of TERM.  The manual page is
> rather light on details for this setting.  At the least I should
> probably document the default colors available from ncurses.
>
> One of my thoughts was to encourage users, especially newcomers to
> Xterm/Rxvt, to start from the common VGA palette so a reasonable color
> scheme is the starting point.  Still the ability for advanced users to
> customize the scheme must be preserved.
>
> Ideally, it would be possible for the user to manage all the color
> scheme through Tlf regardless of the setting of TERM or the terminal
> color palette.  It remains to be seen if this ideal can be reached.

As handling of STANDOUT, BOLD and other attributes are inconsistent
between the emulators I could check I fear that we will not be able to
reach that goal.

Just my 2 cents.

73, de Tom DL1JBE

--