Re: [Swarm-Modelling] [Fwd: Re: [ABMs in finance]

From: Pietro Terna
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] [Fwd: Re: [ABMs in finance]
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 07:57:50 +0200

At 05.43 27/04/2006, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
glen e. p. ropella wrote:
I know there are appropriate terms for this concept... I just keep drawing a
blank.  "Hysteresis" is the closest I can come.  But it's not really adequate
because it could refer to a lagged, but impulsive effect.  Where the effect I
want to name has to do with this cumulative build up.
The finance people usually call them "long memory processes" -- some background:

http://www.cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/notebooks/power-laws.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0412049015/002-3703595-1053638?v=glance&n=283155

Tools:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/packages/longmemo.pdf

Thanks to all friends for the discussion; a discussion panel on these subjects would be interesting at the Swarm Fest ...

Pietro