Re: [Swarm-Modelling] [Fwd: Re: [ABMs in finance]

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] [Fwd: Re: [ABMs in finance]
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:36:13 -0700

Pietro Terna wrote:
>         I agree completely with ******** above. What is important is to
> avoid to hide individual behavior in aggregate equations, forgotting to
> evaluate the effects of the sequences of the events over the time. This
> is for me the core of the problem.

I've been hunting for the proper word for this attribute for awhile, now.  The
most accurate term I've come to is "hysteresis", which means (basically) "the
lagging of an effect behind its cause".

I've tried to use other terms like "accumulation", "accretion", "interactions",
"interstitial digitization" (my hermeneutic favorite), etc.  But, none of them
really capture the "inertial" aspect to the concept.

Also, it's not that useful to use the phrase "sequences of events" because that
implies a kind of single thread... a chain of events.  But, more accurate
phrases would be "tapestry of events" ...  "network of events", etc.

Does anyone have successful (meaning shortest route to effective communication
... or perhaps just the least time until all heads are nodding [grin]) terms for
this inherently systemic/cybernetic concept?

People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest. -- Hermann
Hesse