Re: [Swarm-Modelling] [Fwd: Re: [ABMs in finance]

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] [Fwd: Re: [ABMs in finance]
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:35:34 -0700

Steve Railsback wrote:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Swarmfest2006] Keynote speakers
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:09:16 -0600
From: Marcus G. Daniels <address@hidden>

Btw, the idea of using ABM as tool actually trading seems potentially
useful.  The idea would be to identify a network of traders (e.g. a
number of large companies like Goldman Sachs, Merill Lynch, etc.) that
would tend to show large back and forth trading patterns that would move
the price in the short term.  Then use data mining techniques (e.g.
CART) to identify some likely decision variables, and then study that in
detail and build an ABM of the players reactions dependent on the

To me, that's the essence of what ABM has to offer: a way to try to figure out the behaviors that produce a set of observed patterns. We ecologists think we have a difficult problem figuring out how fish and plants make decisions; imagine in finance where the agent behaviors could be as complex as these companies' automatic trading programs.

But that's one reason Doyne's work, like the paper "Zero intelligence..." (http://www.santafe.edu/~jdf/papers/science2.pdf), is cool: it shows that you do not have to include all of this tremendous complexity to make a model that explains some important patterns. Some patterns seem to emerge just from the trading rules.

As an outsider, I would think people in finance would be busy figuring out how much "realism" they need in agent behavior to make a useful (i.e., predictive enough to get rich) model of more and more complex patterns observed in the markets.

Steve