Serial Synthesizer Support

From: Halim Sahin
Subject: Serial Synthesizer Support
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 20:30:36 +0200

Hello,
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 02:39:25PM +0200, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> On 14.8.2010 17:35, Steve Holmes wrote:
> >> I would suggest a generic hw-synth module with individual setting files
> >> for each hardware synthesizer.
> >>
> > That does sound like an interesting approach.  Actually, I think the
> > generic module does that now.  In fact, I'll probably just use the
> > generic module but start with a speakout-generic.conf file as I own a
> > speakout and use the echo command as for the synth command.  Sounds
> > like a simple start to me.
> >

> Yes, that sounds as a very reasonable start. You need one
> binary module being able to behave differently based on different
> configurations and you do not need the complexity of audio
> output. This sounds very much like the Generic audio module.

Well in the sbl screenreader we have already this kind of config files
for every supported synthesizer.
Currently sbl support infovx700 and apollo2.
To add a new serial synth it needs only a configfile with the needed
information (no additional c-code).

A not complete set of needed options in the hw descriptions
configurationfile are as follows:

* Startcmd
* stopcmd
* Synthname    (like dectalk/keynote/apollo ...)
* synthport  serialport for the connected synth
* baudrate
* synthesis commands like rate pitch voice etc.

HTH.
halim