Serial Synthesizer Support

From: William Hubbs
Subject: Serial Synthesizer Support
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:03:18 -0500

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 08:35:13AM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> There are a couple USB synths though the manufacturer
> won't release the driver specs for the USB side, a USB to serial
> device could be used.  Anyway, the serial enhancements would offer
> other choices for users of speech dispatcher.

I have been in correspondence with Access Solutions, and they have
given me quite a bit of information about the USB synthesizers. I have
been working on some kernel level drivers for them which will give you
a device to communicate with.  This project just slipped to the back
burner because of other projects I have been working on.

> > Most of these synths are using serial communication.
> > I would suggest a generic hw-synth module with individual setting files
> > for each hardware synthesizer.
>
> That does sound like an interesting approach.  Actually, I think the
> generic module does that now.  In fact, I'll probably just use the
> generic module but start with a speakout-generic.conf file as I own a
> speakout and use the echo command as for the synth command.  Sounds
> like a simple start to me.

The approach of using a serial-synth module which can be configured for
each synthesizer is probably the better approach here; I don't think you
want to go the route of using echo along with the generic module for
this.

William