Serial Synthesizer Support

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: Serial Synthesizer Support
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:14:37 +0200

Dne 14.8.2010 06:15, Steve Holmes napsal(a):
> Hey, I was thinking of wanting to include support for serial
> synthesizers like Speakout, DEC Express, Lite Talk, etc.

Hi Steve and all,

the hardware synthesizers will probably always be quite limited in its
functionality compared to sw as they mostly don't support callbacks etc,
so things like say all in Orca or some cases of message synchronization
will not work as they should.  However, in most cases this is not really
necessary, so they may work just fine if you are aware of some
limitations.  Maybe we would be also ably to hack around some of them.

Thus we support any work in this area and would be happy to include it.
We abandoned that just because we didn't have the hardware for testing
and software synths were of higher priority for us.  But as hw synths
seem to be still quite popular, especially in the US, so yes, that would
be great to have that.

Probably a good way to do that would be to write a single hwsynth
output module, which would be configurable for different synthesizers,
or it might use some sort of autodetection to set up itself for the
currently connected synth (if it is supported).  This should be well
considered during the initial design.

Best regards, Tomas