Serial Synthesizer Support

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: Serial Synthesizer Support
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:51:19 -0700

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 04:51:44PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
>  This definitely would be ugly, and I don't see any reason we should go
>  here.  I like the approach of having one module and separate
>  configurations for each serial synthesizer.

Yeah, I don't think I will be going there.  I don't know tcl at all
and don't wanna get tangled up with another layer of complexity like
that.  Out of curiousity, if I write a c module to communicate with
the serial port, should I merely write to it like I would to STDOUT?
The only program I've recently written for the speakout to set its
clock, writes its output to the file, /sys/accessibility/speakup/synth
and I think speech-dispatcher modules should not be tied to speakup
devices.  So can I just write to /dev/ttyS0 for example or should I
use a more lower level approach?

I like the advice I'm getting so far; the serial generic module idea
sounds good to me.