Serial Synthesizer Support

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: Serial Synthesizer Support
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 21:15:28 -0700

Hey, I was thinking of wanting to include support for serial
synthesizers like Speakout, DEC Express, Lite Talk, etc.  If nothing
else, it should help get around some of the session integration issues
and avoide conflicts with sound cards.  Also after regular serial
ports, I would like to see support for USB synths in much the same
way.  I recall speechd used to have an Apolo synth driver long time
ago but it got pulled before I could save it aside.  Is there any way
to get something like this going? I would think at the beginning
perhaps I could clone a generic module for support to any serial synth
just to make it talk and then code separate module for each synth with
proper voice parameters.  My biggest concern would be the indexing the
synth gives back to the driver.  But that could come a little later in
the development cycle.

What do others think of this idea? I would really like to get more use
out of my Speakout <smile>.