speechd-up

From: Bill Cox
Subject: speechd-up
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:58:00 -0400

I'm very much in favor of allowing William Hubbs to become the
speechd-up maintainer.  I would only ask that Brailcom continue to
support running speech-dispatcher in system-wide mode, and to allow
speechd-up to work with it in that mode, until we succeed in building
a suitable speakup replacement.  Alternatively, we could have
speech-dispatcher and speechd-up run as a special "speech-dispatcher"
user, launched through an init script.

By the way, d-bus is insanely slow.  Each message/response query takes
200 microseconds on my quad-core i7 laptop.  It also looks like Orca
may grind d-bus to a halt with so many messages per second, most of
the CPU will be wasted simply doing d-bus overhead.  If you move
speech-dispatcher to that, you'll likely find speech annoyingly
delayed.

I'd be happy to assist with the development of an alternative
"accessibility" bus that doesn't suffer from performance problems.
I'd stay away from d-bus.  Gnome/Orca is in a real pickle right now
due to this switch, which I think was not well thought out.

Bill