speechd-up

From: Luke Yelavich
Subject: speechd-up
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:37:56 +1000

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 08:54:36PM EST, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> It is now necessary to investigate what needs to
> be done, setup a roadmap and implement the
> necessary changes. If there is power and will
> to do that, we will be happy to host such a project
> on Free(b)Soft.

I think the closest we are to a userspace console screen reader is sbl. It
intercepts keypresses from the kernel using UEvents, reads the same device
nodes that brltty uses for reading the current console, allows different
configurations to be loaded for the currently used application in the current
console etc. I think we should extend sbl, since we already have a code base
that does some of what we need already. BrlTTY could also be extended, but its
architecture may need to be altered to work as a user session service. I
haven't really thought this throgh very much however, so I could be wrong.

In any case, there is code available already that can be extended, so I don't
think we need to start from scratch.

Luke