sks-devel

Re: keyserver.insect.com GDRP takedown request

From: Ari Trachtenberg
Subject: Re: keyserver.insect.com GDRP takedown request
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 23:50:09 -0400

Probably needs a lawyer ...

On May 26, 2022, at 11:37 PM, Ced <ced@cyberbits.eu> wrote:

On Thu, 26 May 2022 23:10:27 -0400
Ari Trachtenberg <trachten@bu.edu> wrote:

Would it help to move them to the US?

IANAL but I don't think it would help according to
https://gdpr.eu/companies-outside-of-europe/

Quote: "This Regulation applies to the processing of personal data of
data subjects who are in the Union by a controller or processor *not*
established in the Union, where the processing activities are related
to [...] the offering of goods or services, irrespective of whether a
payment of the data subject is required, to such data subjects in the
Union"

One could argue that running a keyserver is offering services (to EU
citizens) so I think GDPR applies in this case.

---
Prof. Ari Trachtenberg            ECE, Boston University
trachten@bu.edu                    http://people.bu.edu/trachten