sks-devel

Re: keyserver.insect.com GDRP takedown request

From: Ari Trachtenberg
Subject: Re: keyserver.insect.com GDRP takedown request
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 23:10:27 -0400

Would it help to move them to the US?

On May 26, 2022, at 11:01 PM, Ced <ced@cyberbits.eu> wrote:

On Thu, 26 May 2022 16:53:31 -0400
Jason John Schwarz via SKS development and deployment list
<sks-devel@nongnu.org> wrote:

We have received the same take down request from Mr. Puerto as
several other keyservers under GDRP. As we are running
keyserver.insect.com as a free service we can not afford to deal with
legal costs on this request, and therefore are shutting down
keyserver.insect.com effective today.

We have received the same takedown request from that Mr. Puerto. We run
Hockeypuck at pgp.cyberbits.eu. Sadly there doesn't seem to be an easy
way to somehow blacklist his key. We could return 404 when the query
parameters contains his key ID but the key would still be available
through the search form and possibly other paths.

Another idea would be to switch to
https://gitlab.com/hagrid-keyserver/hagrid but it still doesn't have a
federation feature so it would be pretty useless in practice.

pgp.cyberbits.eu is used by https://www.parabola.nu/ and probably other
projects so we don't want to take it down. However, it's not worth
getting sued for running a public service pro bono...

If anyone has an idea to prevent the collapse of the few remaining SKS
keyservers, please let us know otherwise we'll have to take down our
server too pretty soon :(

---
Prof. Ari Trachtenberg            ECE, Boston University
trachten@bu.edu                    http://people.bu.edu/trachten