Re: installation

From: Robin Lee Powell
Subject: Re: installation
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 10:27:22 -0700

On Fri, Nov 03, 2023 at 08:59:12AM -0400, Brielle Tilson wrote:
> Yes we have an IT guy that installs programs on the school
> computer as us grad students don’t have root privileges. Do I need
> to have screen installed on both the school computer and my home
> computer?
>
> Yes I know that Linux is an operating system just like Windows. My
> current setup is that I have Windows at home and am not looking to
> change it.
>
> What do you mean “screen does this only for command line not
> graphical desktop”. I thought the idea of screen was that I can
> see the screen of my computer at school. Isn’t screen a GUI?

I think we need to start at the beginning here.

The way you get a *text only* connection to a remote server (like
your school's computer) to do stuff at the command line is called
SSH.  There are many SSH clients for Windows.  Here's a video with a
basic connection example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXnop3C6JQ , and here's an example
of using the command line in practice (at this specific time in this
video; the stuff before this is unlikely to help):
https://youtu.be/_3M7Y0iC7PE?t=302

screen (and tmux and several others; the general term is "terminal
multiplexer") are for basically holding open your command line
connection so that when you come back, you can get back to exactly
the same state you were in before.  Here's an example of very basic
use of screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuRZpGRDl40