Re: installation

From: Ben Kamen
Subject: Re: installation
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 11:18:52 -0500

On 11/3/23 11:05 AM, CrazyCat wrote:
Le 03/11/2023 à 14:39, Lars Noodén a écrit :
What do you mean “screen does this only for command line not
graphical desktop”. I thought the idea of screen was that I can see
the screen of my computer at school. Isn’t screen a GUI?

Screen does not use a GUI.  Screen is a terminal multiplexer, so it has
nothing to do with a GUI.

If you are working with GUI-based programs, then screen is not the tool
you need to consider, even if it is a very good method for using
long-running terminal based programs.

If you need the GUI, mobaXterm allows SSH with X11-forwarding, or VNC, Xdmcp...
But you'll have to install vnc or XDMCP on the target computer.

I'd never tested X11 forwarding because all my linux servers are headless, but
I'll try this week-end :)

CrazyCat
I've remote done XDMCP  (I still have some working NCD Xplora450 Xterminals) --
but I wouldn't recommend it.

If the session gets broken, all the running applications will be terminated.

Plus it's really nice to have 100Mb/s or better speeds for a 16bit color
palette for the desktop.

And it's a lot weirder to get set up. (You can install Cygwin which comes with
an Xserver. It's nice. I use that on WIndows)

And remote XDMCP WOULD keep/provide a private session.

but like I said, it's weird to setup -- VNC is easier but it is for use of the
whole machine like you were sitting at the console.

For the OP --- So many options. LoL.

 -Ben