Re: installation

From: Stephane Ascoet
Subject: Re: installation
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2023 22:31:20 +0100

Brielle Shope <bmt5hv@virginia.edu> le 02/11/2023 21:39:
Stephane, I am not sure what the Linux distribution is on my school computer.

Who manages it? You'll need root rights to install anything on it.

What do you mean “try GNU/Linux at home”?

GNU/Linux is an operating system, like Window$ NT, but technically infinitely better. You'll get a better life using it at home and everywhere you can :-)

Steve, I have a program running (IDL) on my school computer and I want to be
able to access the desktop from home. I have been using X2GO but everytime I
want to open IDL to do data analysis, I have to reload my data and it takes
about two hours to reload data. Therefore, my advisor suggested I use Screen so
that I can just access what is currently on my school desktop without having to
close IDL and reload. I need to be able to “see” my desktop because I make plots
and such on IDL.

Screen does this only for command line, not graphical desktop. I think that using IDL at home would be simplier, no?

Please keep Screen mailing-list in the mail loop!
--
Sincerely, Stephane Ascoet