Re: installation

From: Nieko Maatjes
Subject: Re: installation
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 09:07:52 +0100

On Thu 02 Nov 2023 at 23:47:26 +0100, CrazyCat wrote:
> You don't have to install screen on your computer, you have to install and
> run it on the target computer, and then run your program in a screen
> instance.
> The effect will be that exiting your session won't kill it.
>
> From your home's computer, use mobaxterm, putty, or any ssh client to
> connect the target and reopen the screen session (screen -rd) and you'll get
> it as if you never quit it.

You can of course run screen locally _and_ remotely :) I've been using
this setup for years now, so that I can run multiple programs in the
same terminal, but in different screen windows. I have shortcuts set
up so that I can quickly switch between them.

With an appropriate caption set in my .screenrc it looks like the picture
in the attachment. You can find my .screenrc here:
https://nieko.net/projects/all#rc

You can run screen on Windows by using the Windows Subsystem for Linux
(WSL). Some years back I wrote a blog post on how to get Bash up and
running properly, and it talks about screen a bit as well:
https://nieko.net/blog/bash-on-ubuntu-on-windows

Hope that helps!

--
N: Nieko Maatjes