Re: Threaded comments & indenting, w3m browser, $TERM=screen.linux

From: John Magolske
Subject: Re: Threaded comments & indenting, w3m browser, $TERM=screen.linux
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:26:21 -0800

* Aaron Davies <address@hidden> [110117 20:13]:
> On Sunday, January 16, 2011, John Magolske  wrote:
>
> > Also, `w3m -dump` behaves this way (some indentation, but after
> > one or two levels the comments become flat) regardless of whether
> > $TERM= linux, screen.linux, xterm or screen.
>
> Does the literal text (viewed in vi, through cat -v, etc.)from w3m
> -dump show any differences when used within or without screen? In
> particular, is the indentation implemented with spaces, tabs, or
> something else? (ANSI control character possibly?)

The output of w3m -dump is identical whether used with or without
screen, in an fb-console or in an xterm -- vimdiff shows all files
dumped to be identical. Those files, as well as the properly indented
text file obtained via the "Save buffer to file" command within w3m
(while not in Screen) are all are indented with spaces.

But then...after updating Debian's w3m from w3m/0.5.2 to
w3m/0.5.2+cvs-1.1039 and updating w3m-img, I find I can now open html
pages in w3m in Screen with the indenting displayed properly -- and
"Save buffer to file" saves properly indented text. Furthermore, I
now see images displayed, which surprised me, as I thought it wasn't
possible to view images in Screen.

In any case, it looks like the issues around indenting of threads
in Screen vs not-Screen had to do with image rendering. And because
w3m -dump doesn't know anything about images, I don't think it'll
output properly indented threads from news.ycombinator.com regardless
of the terminal.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

John

--