Re: Threaded comments & indenting, w3m browser, $TERM=screen.linux

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: Threaded comments & indenting, w3m browser, $TERM=screen.linux
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:44:48 -0500

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 01:26:21AM EST, John Magolske wrote:

[..]

> The output of w3m -dump is identical whether used with or without
> screen, in an fb-console or in an xterm -- vimdiff shows all files
> dumped to be identical. Those files, as well as the properly indented
> text file obtained via the "Save buffer to file" command within w3m
> (while not in Screen) are all are indented with spaces.
>
> But then...after updating Debian's w3m from w3m/0.5.2 to
> w3m/0.5.2+cvs-1.1039 and updating w3m-img, I find I can now open html
> pages in w3m in Screen with the indenting displayed properly -- and
> "Save buffer to file" saves properly indented text. Furthermore, I
> now see images displayed, which surprised me, as I thought it wasn't
> possible to view images in Screen.

Images, huh..? What kind of terminal are you running screen+w3m on top
of..? Maye it's time for a couple of screenshots?

> In any case, it looks like the issues around indenting of threads
> in Screen vs not-Screen had to do with image rendering. And because
> w3m -dump doesn't know anything about images, I don't think it'll
> output properly indented threads from news.ycombinator.com regardless
> of the terminal.

There's definitely a pattern I had failed to notice: all indentation on
the sample pages appears to follow one of those cute north-pointing
triangles. Initially, I had a feeling that ELinks not being able to
render the indentation might be caused by its limited support of CSS,
because specifying a Style of ‘None’ in a mozilla browser also removes
the indentation but it looks like I was wrong abou that.

> Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Thanks for this interesting post in the first place.

cj