Re: Threaded comments & indenting, w3m browser, $TERM=screen.linux

From: John Magolske
Subject: Re: Threaded comments & indenting, w3m browser, $TERM=screen.linux
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 22:17:34 -0800

* Chris Jones <address@hidden> [110120 20:47]:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 01:26:21AM EST, John Magolske wrote:
>
> > But then...after updating Debian's w3m from w3m/0.5.2 to
> > w3m/0.5.2+cvs-1.1039 and updating w3m-img, I find I can now open html
> > pages in w3m in Screen with the indenting displayed properly -- and
> > "Save buffer to file" saves properly indented text. Furthermore, I
> > now see images displayed, which surprised me, as I thought it wasn't
> > possible to view images in Screen.
>
> Images, huh..? What kind of terminal are you running screen+w3m on top
> of..? Maye it's time for a couple of screenshots?

This is Debian Linux (Sid) running screen+w3m in a framebuffer console:

  http://b79.net/temp/linux-fbconsole-screen-w3m.png

> > In any case, it looks like the issues around indenting of threads
> > in Screen vs not-Screen had to do with image rendering.
>
> There's definitely a pattern I had failed to notice: all indentation on
> the sample pages appears to follow one of those cute north-pointing
> triangles. Initially, I had a feeling that ELinks not being able to
> render the indentation might be caused by its limited support of CSS,
> because specifying a Style of ‘None’ in a mozilla browser also removes
> the indentation but it looks like I was wrong abou that.

When I have more time I'd to take a closer look at the html source
of the pages generated by news.ycombinator.com and figure out how
exactly the thread indentation works. I find threaded indented
commenting to be a very useful thing. I like how Mutt does it, and I
appreciate systems that can present threads in a text-mode browser
sans javascript. I'd love to see an open source alternative to DISQUS
that could do this. Here's something I just came across...a pondering
of why fbi can't display images in a terminal muliplexer:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/mplayer-and-screen-in-a-fight-to-the-death/#comment-47621

To date, I've been using openvt & something like this for viewing
images within Screen running inside a Linus fb-console:

  #!/bin/sh
  [ -e /tmp/images ] && rm -r /tmp/images
  mkdir /tmp/images
  cp "$*" /tmp/images
  sudo openvt -sw -- /usr/bin/sudo -H -u $USER /bin/zsh -c "fbi -e --autodown
/tmp/images/*"
  sudo deallocvt

Regards,

John