[task #16088] Submission of datestamp

From: निरंजन
Subject: [task #16088] Submission of datestamp
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 06:36:57 -0500 (EST)

> Savannah has a stricter hosting requirement than just
> having no proprietary dependencies: the hosted packages
> should be compatible with the GPL version 3 and any later
> version. If you link your package with a program released
> under the GPL version 2 only, the combination will be
> GPLv2-only, making your program effectively
> GPLv3-incompatible.

Okay.

Fortunately I was wrong about the license of LuaTeX. On the
CTAN-page of both of this software[1] the license mentioned
was GPLv2 without any extra information. Usually if a
package is licensed with the condition `or any later
version' they explicitly mention it on the website.
(e.g. See the entry with the title Licenses at the CTAN-page
of my package tipauni: https://ctan.org/pkg/tipauni. It says
GPLv3 or any later.) but I don't know why they didn't
mention this for LuaTeX (https://ctan.org/pkg/luatex) I'll
contact them and request them to update the page with the
correct license information, because:

1. If I run `luatex --version`, I get:

This is LuaTeX, Version 1.13.2 (TeX Live 2021)

Execute  'luatex --credits'  for credits and version details.

There is NO warranty. Redistribution of this software is covered by
the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or (at your option)
any later version. For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the LuaTeX source.

LuaTeX is Copyright 2021 Taco Hoekwater and the LuaTeX Team.

2. If I run `lualatex --version`, I get:

This is LuaHBTeX, Version 1.13.2 (TeX Live 2021)

Execute  'luahbtex --credits'  for credits and version details.

There is NO warranty. Redistribution of this software is covered by
the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or (at your option)
any later version. For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the LuaTeX source.

LuaTeX is Copyright 2021 Taco Hoekwater and the LuaTeX Team.

So I was wrong when I said it is GPLv2 _only_, their
copyright notice seems to be pretty clear. Extremely sorry
for the confusion. I was mislead by some wrong information
on the CTAN.

>  No, HTTPS isn't more safe. The integrity of the released
> packages is ensured with the GPG signature, it can't be
> enforced at the level of the website because we use
> mirrors, so basically anyone can setup a mirror and offer
> forged releases, and using HTTPS can't prevent or even
> detect that.

Okay, thanks for the information :)

> No; the URL depends on the VCS and the method one uses to
> access the repository. I shan't discuss all possibilities
> here.

No problem. Just let me know if using the following URLs is
safe or not:

Repository: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/<project>
Bugs:       http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=<project>

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16088>