[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Remote backup server without root and rdiff-bac

From: Jens Benecke
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Remote backup server without root and rdiff-backup?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:51:56 +0200

David Kempe wrote:

> Jens Benecke wrote:
>> Will permissions etc. be preserved for restoring if I do something like
>>         rdiff-backup --exclude /BACKUP / /BACKUP
>>         rsync -avze ssh /BACKUP address@hidden:/home/user/
>
> Yeah I think that will work fine. rdiff-backup in the 0.13 series stores
> its metadata (like permissions) in a seperate file. This means that your

Great. I am also thinking about mounting the local backup directory
"nosuid,noexec,nodev" (it is /home), this should not affect rdiff-backup's
operation, right?

> plan should work fine. I don't recommend backing up / completely - you
> can find lots about that in the archives.

So rdiff-backup is not suitable for "crash recovery" type backups? I am
already excluding a list of directories:

/BACKUP/**
/home/tmp/**
/cdrom/**
/dev/**
/floppy/**
/initrd/**
/lost+found/**
/mnt/**
/proc/**
/tmp/**
/var/tmp/**
/var/run/**
/var/state/logcheck/**

> Thanks for updating the wiki :)

No problem :)

btw: I just found out about SHFS. (http://shfs.sf.net) It lets you mount
directories via SSH. It performs quite well (~1-2MB/s) so it might be
suitable for remote rdiff-backup where only SSH access is possible.
I'll try doing remote backups that way.

--
Jens Benecke
http://www.hitchhikers.de - Europas kostenlose Mitfahrzentrale seit 1998