Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Remote backup server without root and rdiff-bac

From: David Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Remote backup server without root and rdiff-backup?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:14:04 +1000

Jens Benecke wrote:
Will permissions etc. be preserved for restoring if I do something like

        rdiff-backup --exclude /BACKUP / /BACKUP
        rsync -avze ssh /BACKUP address@hidden:/home/user/

although I'm not root on the remote machine? If disaster happens, would I be
able to rsync everything back to my local machine into /BACKUP, and then
call rdiff-backup -r /BACKUP /

(or something like that)?

Yeah I think that will work fine. rdiff-backup in the 0.13 series stores its metadata (like permissions) in a seperate file. This means that your plan should work fine. I don't recommend backing up / completely - you can find lots about that in the archives.
Thanks for updating the wiki :)

dave