[rdiff-backup-users] Remote backup server without root and rdiff-backup?

From: Jens Benecke
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Remote backup server without root and rdiff-backup?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:42:28 +0200

Hello,

I have an (non-root) account on a backup server that does NOT have
rdiff-backup installed. (And frankly, I doubt that it'll install at all on
a Redhat 7.0 / 2.2.24 machine that only has a basic Python 1.5
installation ...)

I also have lots of local space.

Will permissions etc. be preserved for restoring if I do something like

        rdiff-backup --exclude /BACKUP / /BACKUP
        rsync -avze ssh /BACKUP address@hidden:/home/user/

although I'm not root on the remote machine? If disaster happens, would I be
able to rsync everything back to my local machine into /BACKUP, and then
call
        rdiff-backup -r /BACKUP /

(or something like that)?

Thanks!