[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Serious data loss using rdiff-backup

From: Jens Benecke
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Serious data loss using rdiff-backup
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:10:25 +0200

Alistair Popple wrote:

>> Hmm... so do you think when the symlink to /usr was deleted, /usr was
>> deleted along with it?
>
> This is probably best explained with an example I used to replicate
> the problem on a test system at home.  Hopefully this is
> understandable (I can clarify anything if it isn't):
>
> (....)
>
> * rdiff-backup -v7 --check-desintation /tmp/rdiff-backup-test/dest
>
> It is at this point the problems begin.  If you check
> /tmp/rdiff-backup-test/src/test1 (a directory outside of the
> destination) you will find that the test1.1 directory has been
> deleted.  This only happens for the directories mentioned in the
> original (non-linked) version of test2.1, which is why test1.2 (...)

Hi,

so ... basically this means that rdiff-backup cannot deal with symlinks
properly?

As a workaround, is there a way to force rdiff-backup to NOT use symlinks
(but record symlink information in the metadata only) even if the
destination FS can deal with them?

Something like "--windows-mode" but for symlinks?

--
Jens Benecke
http://www.hitchhikers.de - Europas kostenlose Mitfahrzentrale seit 1998