Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Scalability

From: alex
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Scalability
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:37:05 -0600

There are and have been deployments this large. The point here is not if
phpgroupware scales (it mostly does), but how well do you know each
infrastructure component so that you know how to tune them.

For example, database scalability directly affects phpgw performance.
You should know if you need to create indexes, where, what queries that
phpgroupware produces are the most used for a given setup and how can
you tune the db (be it postgres or mysql) to respond to that demand.

All in all, you should be able to do an analysis that tells you how big
a box (boxes) you need for this kind of high demand.

5000 users and 200 domains is not enough information for this. You need
to tell us how often will it be used by the users, what applications of
phpgroupware are you going to provide, do you have a good storage setup
(high class SAN, or gigabit distributed filesystem setup), do you know
if youll have the budget for two or more servers...etc.