Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Scalability

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Scalability
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:31:48 +1100

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 08:06 +0100, Andreas Schiller wrote:
> Hi @ll,
>
> does someone have experiences with installations of phpGW for ~5000 Users on
> ~200 domains???

I don't know how well it will scale having a header file with 200
domains.  At the same time 5000 users is not out of the question for
phpgw.  As they will be broken up into domains the scaling issues should
be reduced as you aren't doing look ups for 1000s of users.

> I'm afraid, not... Then in other words: Which are your largest installations?

Take a look at http://phpgroupware.org/references I think you will find
there are some pretty large installs there

> I'm right now wondering whether phpGW will be scalable to such an
> installation
> - I tend to say "somehow, yes - use some boxes for apache/php with
> loadbalancers and another number of boxes for pgsql" (mail will be hosted
> externally)

Here is a quick things to watch list:

* bandwidth to mail server/s
* max connection per ip setting on imapds

I would suggest that you look at some type of load balancing front end
where you pair up a couple of apache boxes with a set of domains and
have  single db backend per set (maybe fail over).  Have 2 or 3 front
end "sets" and a matching number of db boxes.

You haven't mentioned how many concurrent users you are planning to
expect so I can't give you a more specific solution.

I am happy to try and assist you with this implementation, in my spare
time (which is rather limited atm).

Cheers

Dave
--