Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Scalability

From: Christian Rost
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Scalability
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:16:32 +0100

Andreas Schiller schrieb:
Hi @ll,

does someone have experiences with installations of phpGW for ~5000 Users on ~200 domains???

I'm afraid, not... Then in other words: Which are your largest installations?

I'm right now wondering whether phpGW will be scalable to such an installation - I tend to say "somehow, yes - use some boxes for apache/php with loadbalancers and another number of boxes for pgsql" (mail will be hosted externally)

Hi,

will PHPgw installed with SQL support only or additionally with LDAP support?

We're running PHPgw with LDAP support. In comparision with SQL lookups, the LDAP lookups take much more time. We've already optimized the LDAP indexes, but it seems to be related to the LDAP API in PHP. To speed up PHPgw, an account(s) lookup should be made only once when an application fetches data and not every time the app needs to check up accounts information.

We're running an PHPgw installation with about 150 users, in it's final stage, on a Xeon 3,2GHz and 1Gigs of RAM. Currently there are up to 50 users accessing PHPgw. We have a multi location setup with one central Server running PHPgw, MySQL, Apache2 and LDAP for that location. All other locations are running Apache2 with a separate PHPgw installation accessing the central database backend and LDAP for account lookups.

Your installation with Apache/ PHP separated from your database backend makes sense. We did it in a similar way with only one database backend.

Christian

Christian Rost
roCon - Informationstechnologie
Herner Strasse 299 B-29