Re: roadmap Re: [paragui-users] searching: democratically organized orde

From: Mark Junker
Subject: Re: roadmap Re: [paragui-users] searching: democratically organized order; will also take dictatorship :)
Date: 05 Sep 2003 17:38:00 +0100

> Lua too slow for you?!?    Are you sure you've tried it the right way?
> I mean, making an automated wrapper (tolua, luabind..) may consume
> considerable overhead.
Yes, I used toLua because we had to start and finish the project in just two
weeks. Was quite heavy but I got it. I wrote the loader/maintenance module at
the last day. Most of the development was done using C++ on Windows. Just
copied it into an empty project for the target platform, compiled it and it
worked as expected. :)

> My wrapper is hand-crafted for best performance & maintainability. The
> downside: writing it takes some time.. :)  Would be interesting to make
> C++/Lua speed comparisons some day - any good code for that?
What we did was the following (C++ syntax):

for (unsigned ui=0; ui!=512; ++ui) {
        LineChecker[ui].setStart(TCameraPoint(ui, 0));
        LineChecker[ui].setEnd(TCameraPoint(ui, 479));
        LineChecker[ui].run(Image);
}

The Lua code was 5x slower. Too slow for us.

Best regards,
Mark Junker