Re: [Openexr-devel] Color Space Settings

From: Michael Wolf
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Color Space Settings
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:29:01 +0100

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:45:00 +0100, Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Bob,

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010, Michael Wolf wrote:

However, the question was if there is a way to detect the colour space of an
EXR, and obviously there is none as it's not optional when it comes to EXRs
but well defined.

I think that it is wrong to consider EXR's color space to be "well
defined" even if the data is not supposed to be gamma (or log)
encoded.  There are many contributing factors to color space beyond
mere gamma encoding such as the primary colors, and the relative
strengths of those primary colors.

O.k., I correct myself: It's defined ;)

If I was daring I'd say "sufficiently defined for most practical purposes
considering the usage scenarios for the file format" :D

Cheers,
Mike

--
db&w Bornemann und Wolf GbR