Re: [Openexr-devel] Blender + OpenEXR

From: Kevin Wheatley
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Blender + OpenEXR
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 09:26:56 +0000

Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> This is actually my first real experience with HD digital cinema... and
> I wondered if there ever was a follow up on the
> OpenEXRColorManagement.pdf you published. All our frames are rendered
> with a 'linear' RGB color space now, which look pretty much OK on our
> monitors (like the 23" Apple Cinema displays), but that doesn't mean
> anything eh. :)

Well not quite nothing...

if your viewing the images on the screen as is with no calibration
then essentially what you've got in my book is approximately an sRGB
style colour space, even if you didn't mean to. That said this depends
on how your viewing your images, if you've got a HDR tone mapping
operation going on in your viewing, then that defines the transform
your after... its a point in the ground at least.

As to what you need when going to the 'HD digital cinema', you need to
find out a little detail about the viewing device, I could interpret
that one of two ways:

1) Its HD colour space on input, viewed in a dark environment
(possible due to your HDCAM-SR, but possibly not because nothing about
the SR requires that be the case)
2) Its not HD colour space and HD was used to mean 'big and cool cos
everything has HD on it these days', but your still in the dark...

either way your missing a few bits of information, are you looking to
get the layoff to tape done somewhere particular, if so talk to them
they may be able to help guide you further.

> I would greatly appreciate some pointers to information or tips for how
> to achieve the best quality for current 10 bits/component digital HD
> projection systems. And maybe some hints for how to convert color best
> to current DVD video formats.

Once you get it to HD your best bet is probably to use that for your
DVD source material, perhaps through a down conversion, depending on
what you need. If your mastering for two environments though you may
need to be careful and have two grading/conversion functions for your
different medias.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this      |
| Senior Technology                     | My employer for certain |