Re: [Openexr-devel] Blender + OpenEXR

From: Ken McGaugh
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Blender + OpenEXR
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 17:12:17 +0000

Ton Roosendaal wrote:

My current information is that we have to convert this to Cineon or DPX, this is moved to a Quantel IQ HD/2K set, which will convert this to HDCam SR tape.

This is actually my first real experience with HD digital cinema... and I wondered if there ever was a follow up on the OpenEXRColorManagement.pdf you published. All our frames are rendered with a 'linear' RGB color space now, which look pretty much OK on our monitors (like the 23" Apple Cinema displays), but that doesn't mean anything eh. :)

I would greatly appreciate some pointers to information or tips for how to achieve the best quality for current 10 bits/component digital HD projection systems. And maybe some hints for how to convert color best to current DVD video formats.

Hello Ton, when you say the 'linear' RGB images look OK on your monitors,
are there any lookups being applied (ie. gamma correction)?

Regardless, you should probably avoid cineon since it requires you to
go through a printing density (log) pipeline.  Your images already look
good on your monitor and your monitor is essentially video, so the images
should stay in video.  That leaves you with DPX.  But if you are viewing
the images with a lookup table to do gamma correction, then you might need
to bake that lookup into the DPX pixel values.

Good luck.  I look forward to seeing your film.

--Ken