Re: [Openexr-devel] Blender + OpenEXR

From: Drew Hess
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Blender + OpenEXR
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 14:25:32 -0800

Ton Roosendaal <address@hidden> writes:

> This is actually my first real experience with HD digital
> cinema... and  I wondered if there ever was a follow up on the
> OpenEXRColorManagement.pdf you published. All our frames are rendered
> with a 'linear' RGB color space now, which look pretty much OK on our
> monitors (like the 23" Apple Cinema displays), but that doesn't mean
> anything eh. :)

Hi Ton,

Glad to hear about your positive experience with OpenEXR and Blender.
The technical work for OpenEXR color management has been done.  We
have a working color transformation language (CTL) implementation
internally at ILM, and we're currently in the process of doing all the
legal work needed to make the source code available.  It's taking
longer than we'd like, but we hope to have some news about it in the
next few months.

> I would greatly appreciate some pointers to information or tips for
> how  to achieve the best quality for current 10 bits/component digital
> HD  projection systems. And maybe some hints for how to convert color
> best  to current DVD video formats.

Over the last year, there's been a lot of talk amongst various studios
and post houses on the subject of colorspaces and digital cinema, and
I know many of the participants are on this mailing list, so hopefully
some of them can chime in on this.

thanks