Re: [Openexr-devel] use "" instead of <> for header?

From: Paul Miller
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] use "" instead of <> for header?
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 07:48:12 -0600

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, E. Scott Larsen wrote:

This seems to support the same general consensus that Daniel and Dennis mention (and everyone I've talked to): use "" for references inside the current project, and use <> for references outside the current project.

I second the motion for this change. The standard does seem to say clearly that switching to "" will do no harm, only good - and I do agree that it will make life easier for users.

Ditto.

Another factor to consider is that some users (possibly CinePaint) will sometimes want to use OpenEXR in an uninstalled mode so using an external config utility to obtain paths to use uninstalled OpenEXR will fail.

Another ditto - I think it's just cleaner.

I'd also like to recommend the include form of:

#include <OpenEXR/ImfVersion.h>
#include <OpenEXR/ImfArray.h>

This simplifies include paths, as you don't need to add "OpenEXR" to the include path. If it's in /usr/include, it's already in your path, and on Windows, I put all my third-party libraries in an "sdk" directory, and all I'd need to have is "sdk" in my include path.

It also matches other toolkits like boost and Qt (4).

--
Paul Miller | address@hidden | www.fxtech.com | Got Tivo?